I love my city. There’s none out there like it. Check out this list for my hometown. Are there any lists out there like this for your respective cities, and if so, are those lists right? If you’re a fellow born & raised New Yorker, what do you think of this list?
Originally posted on Thought Catalog:
1. When you meet people and they say they’re from “the city” you immediately interrogate them on what exact borough, avenue, and cross streets they lived on to see if they really mean “the city” or somewhere “20 minutes from the city.”
2. You went to schools that actually had racial diversity.
3. You would spend hours browsing CDs at Tower Records.
4. You learned how to ride the subway and take public busses at a very young age.
5. You NEVER had to rely on your parent’s car.
6. When you watch mainstream movies about high school, you simply can’t relate.
7. You had friends from all socioeconomic backgrounds.
8. When you travel abroad, you always say “I’m from New York City,” and never “the States” or “America” or “USA.”
9. You have fond memories of FAO Schwarz, the Bronx Zoo, and the Brooklyn Botanic Gardens.
10. You get…
View original 709 more words